Monday, December 22, 2008

Pinky's Holiday Message - Part I

I am very fortunate to have been raised by two people who embody the spirit of the holidays as a daily practice. In standard etiquette fashion and in many anonymous ways, my parents have offered their hands and their hearts to many people. On Tuesday afternoon, my father had to be taken by ambulance from his doctor's office to the emergency room. As my mother and I waited for them to get a room for him after it was determined that he would be having surgery, we overheard a very disheartening conversation between a nurse and a patient's nursing home. Apparently the nursing home was unaware that one of their patients/residents had even been taken to the emergency room and it seemed (from the side of the conversation that we could hear) that they were reluctant to make any arrangements to take him back.

I believe that we have infinite capacity for love and care-taking of others. I do not believe that it is taxing in anyway for me to have concern for all people around me. I cannot help everyone: offer them shelter or money or support, but this does not mean that I cannot think and pray for all. My parents taught me this. I hope that celebration of those around me is never restricted to specific seasons or days. I hope that I can give unselfishly of my heart and my ears all the time. I hope that the holidays are just another way to demonstrate my deep love for my family and humanity rather than the only time I nod to tradition and humanistic values.

No comments: